Export/Import & PDAs

Feature Requests

Moderator: slammers

Export/Import & PDAs

Postby Larry Ott » Thu Dec 26, 2002 2:48 pm

Shawn,

Now that you have added the ability to Export and Import data, is there any way to log flight info at the field on a Palm and import it to Flight Log when I get home? Or, is there a Palm database (spreadsheet) that could be be imported to FL?

That would bring the usability to a whole new level.

Thanks for continuing to improve FL.

Larry Ott
Larry Ott

Postby slammers » Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:57 am

Hmm, you could import flight logs but you could not link them to current flying fields or fuel types that you have in the main program. So if you imported logs from a palm you would have to manually change the fuel type and flying field after the import.

When you change the name of a flying field all your old flight logs will now reflect this new name. This is because when you create a flying site you create a unique entry in the database and that flying site is now given a unique ID number. This ID number is stored in all the flight logs. If you import flight history from a friend that flies at the same field his field entry in his database probably will not have the same ID number as yours. Because of this I can not associate the import data's Field ID with your Field ID. So currently when importing flight history that has flying field data in it it will simply create NEW flying fields. You would not want this to happen when importing Palm data.

For this to work on the palm you would have to have some sort of mapping between the two systems. I will have to give this some more thought.

I have no way of writing programs for a Palm. Are their any freeware programs out there to do this that you know of? I also do not have a palm so implementing this would be difficult. I would definitely need some beta testers to help out.

Shawn
slammers

Postby Larry Ott » Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:14 pm

Sounds possible. I would be willing to be a beta tester if you decide to take a shot at this.

I was thinking of an Excel compatable file from the Palm that could be parsed into FL, say in CSV format. If it were possible to determine the ID of the flying field, then that ID could be part of the Palm file and would tell you were the data was to be stored.

Since I have the Palm, is there anything I can do on my end to help?

Thanks for considering the request.

Larry Ott
Larry Ott

Postby ITman » Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:54 am

Hi Shawn,

Perhaps the Pocket PC based palms would be easier as you can get a cut down version of Access for same..?

Dennis - Singapore
ITman

Return to Feature Requests