Append multiple log files together

Feature Requests

Moderator: slammers

Append multiple log files together

Postby archer183 » Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:23 am

It would be very handy to be able to import another person's log file or part of it (as well as selective exporting) so that if you sell or buy a used model with a log already kept on it you can just import that into your master set of logs.

For example, I am loaning one of my buddies my Hawk 4 to learn on while I fly my sceadu. He flies when I am not always out there so he is keeping a log of his flights but I would like to get that added to my log but I don't want to do it by hand.

thanks
Greg
archer183

Postby slammers » Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:18 am

That is great idea. I can think of two scenarios that may happen.

1st is you may want to sell an aircraft. Here you would want to export everything to do with that model. This posses a few questions.

- Would you then want to delete all the data after the sale? I guess there would have to be an option to decide whether all the data should be kept or deleted. You do want to keep flight logs even after a sale as these records still happened and are part of your total flying history.

- When importing the records by the buyer would he want all you flight history recreated or just a summary? I think only a summary would be preferred. If all the history was to be imported his database would have to create every field, fuel, and pilot that was every associated with this aircraft. It seems like what a buyer would want is for the initial hours and initial fuel being set for all accessories and the initial number of flights being set. This way he would still know how many flights are on the model and how used the accessories are without having the complete history.

- Would you want a complete maintenance history imported? If you did this would require you to create all the maintenance procedures used buy the seller

2nd as you suggest you are loaning a model out and want to import flight history once it is returned. In this case you would want to export as in the 1st option but you would want to import only flight history and maintenance history. The questions that arise are

-As above do you want just a summary of the flight history or all the flight history. Again, if you wanted all the flight history you would have to create all the flying fields that were used during the loan.

There are some things that would not be possible. For instance if you loan an aircraft to someone and they change accessories like swapping out a servo I do not see how this could be imported back to your own database. So when the flight history was imported back, the servo that was removed would have hours set against it even though it was removed by your friend. You could always remove this accessory after the fact which would then remove he usage time.

There is a lot to think about to implement this feature. It would be great to have more feedback from users of this program to decide exactly what you would like to see.

Thanks
Shawn
slammers

Postby archer183 » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:04 pm

Actually, all that I need is a summary of the total flight time. Changing of accessories is probably not a big deal, as if you are loaning out stuff most likely the loanee will not change much. As far as selling, the accessories sold with the model and the total cumulative flight time would be minimum. Allowing an optional export of the indevidual flights would be very nice to have but not nessessary.

thanks for the quick reply!
archer183

Postby Larry Ott » Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:02 am

Shawn,

Interesting idea about importing data from another source. Here's one to add to the list.

I carry a Palm Pilot nearly everywhere I go. It would be very nice to be able to enter flight info at the field into a spreadsheet or something and then transfer it to Flightlog when I get home. I'm thinking a csv file that can be parsed in. Maybe a templet with airplanes matching those in Flightlog and columns for flights and other info.

Pie in the sky or possible?

TIA,

Larry Ott - Denver
Larry Ott

Postby slammers » Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:47 am

In my spare time I have been working on a Windows CE front end. Unfortunatley I do not have a plam pilot so I can not write anything for those. However, I could make the import format known so you could write your own front end if you had that capability.

Shawn
slammers

Postby archer183 » Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:46 pm

hey, here is a thought (humor on) sell a flight log palm pilot or something similar for us lazy people who don't want to carry anything non electronic :D (humor off)

but seriously, a remote PDA type thing would be cool too
archer183

Return to Feature Requests