Moving Data From One Computer to Another

General Discussions

Moderator: slammers

Moving Data From One Computer to Another

Postby afskypilot » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:06 pm

I entered my data on my laptop and now want to transfer it to my desktop. I backed up my data and copied it to my desktop. How to I restore my backed-up data?
afskypilot

Postby slammers » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:45 pm

When you backup your database it will create a file with the name of your database and a .bak extension. You need to copy this file to your desktop and rename it to have a .log extension. Then simply use the "Open Database" item in the "File" menu and select this file you copied.

You did not really have to do a backup in this situation. You can just copy your most recent database from your laptop to you desktop. The default location for these files is

c:\program files\Flight Log\Data

Please note that once you do this you will have two separate copies of the database. If you enter data on both computers then the two databases will be out of sync. If you want to be able to use a common database with the two computers you need to keep the database one one of them and share the file through a network connection to the other.

Shawn
slammers

Postby afskypilot » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:23 pm

Thanks for breaking the code for me. It was easier to use the laptop for the initial inventory as I could have it in my workshop to enter the data. From now on I will update my desktop.

Thanks for a great program. Sure wish I had discovered it before I spent $40 on one that didn't work as adversised.

Have a great RC day!
afskypilot

Return to General Discussions